Saturday, January 30, 2010

Learning to Knit 1 (Intro)

Learning to Knit I’ve always been interested in the fiber arts, but for the past ten years it was more from an observers stance. I would browse around knitting stores fingering the beautiful yarns. They were fascinating to me. All I had was the brief tactile pleasure of touching the soft, colorful fibers and it would quench a small part of my desire to make something. My love of all things fiber was encouraged by my now, mother-in-law, Kathy.
Zach and I were only dating when she crochet me the most beautiful afghan/quilt I had ever seen. (shown above) The following Christmas it was a knitted, multi colored purse in rich earth tones, and the following year I got a comfy hooded sweater in my favorite color green. It all seemed so complicated, I could do some basic crochet chains, but the idea of working with two needles baffled me. Finally, I could stand it no more, I had to give it a try. After Christmas one year, I asked her to teach me. I would go over on cold winter nights and we would drink tea and work the cozy yarn over the needles. I would come home with a simple project goal and bring back the knotted squares resembling something of a hot pad (everything was a hot pad) slowly I got the hang of it. We would try different patterns and I learned knitting, purling and cabling. Eventually the motions came more easily, I stopped dropping stitches, and I could knit and keep a conversation going, without messing up what I was doing...most of the time.) The wonderful thing about fiber arts is that there is always something new to try, and to learn. And receiveing a hand knitted item is unlike any other gift. Every ounce of that piece has passed through the makers hands. For our wedding Mom gave us a pair of adorable knitted Teddy Bears dressed in a hand made wedding gown and tux. The possibilities are endless.
I would like to share what I’ve learned so that you can get started too. Over the next few days I’m going to be going over the basics of knitting in a video series. Eventually I’d like to include instruction on shearing, washing, carding, and spinning mohair into yarn. Hope this peaks your interest. Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog