Friday, August 27, 2010

Fiery Friday - Black Iron Days at Hartwick Pines

Hello Everyone,

I know it's been a long time since I have been able to post for Fiery Friday. I've been swamped with orders and working overtime at my regular job so free time is hard to come by. Anyway, I wanted to share this weeks post with you earlier, but better late than never. I wanted to show you one of our last trips to Hartwick Pines Black Iron Days at (Hartwick Pines State Park, Grayling, MI). This is a wonderful event in the middle of the forest where you can see dozens of blacksmiths forging and selling all sorts of items. Being the fourth weekend of August every year, Black Iron Days is tomorrow. If you are looking for something fun to do this weekend I highly recommend the event.

Here is one of the blacksmiths booth. I'd love to give them credit, but I can't remember who's it was. This is just a few hand forged items you will see there.










Another great thing they have there is a steam tractor powered saw mill. I absolutely love these old machines.









That is a massive saw blade. They have this machine running pretty much all weekend. I'm not sure if they still do, but at one time they sold the lumber they made here to the public.









Here is a nifty conveyor with scoops on it to keep sawdust away from the machine. I could have stared at this thing for hours.











I would love to get my hands on that pile of fresh rough cut lumber. That would be great for making an old fashioned blacksmith shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog