Monday, April 4, 2011

Ahhhh! Rabies!!!

Not really, but I did scream.

Feed us, feed us!
Saturday night we got home from running errands a bit late, and the sun was already down. We had an early appointment that morning and I was rushing to get the morning chores done. I tossed the grain ration in the girls feed buckets, they were probably happy that I was being speedy because, as they are goats, and goats being what goats are, they are eternally wanting grain. Anyway... apparently I forgot to close the lid on the stainless steel can that holds their food and their small bag of vitamins.

That evening, after we got home we went to settle everyone down for the night. I scooped out the goats evening ration of grain once again, they were apparently starving, withering away really. (Yeah right, that's why we have to buy them bigger coats every spring~ little fatties!) So, I reach my hand in the small bag of vitamin grain that we add to the food once a day and what is this fuzzy thing? Ahhh the fuzzy thing is moving, and wiggling and scratching my hand. I screamed and chucked the bag across the barn floor. Zach, my hero, who was in the chicken coupe next door, came rushing in and picked up the bag. We looked inside and saw two trembling glossy eyes staring up at us, like "what the heck lady?" A little brown field mouse had climbed inside and probably ate until his heart was content. He will be aptly named, among his fellow mice, as Super Mouse as he O.D.ed on goat vitamins. He will be lacking nothing as far as nutrients are concerned for the rest of his life. We let him go in the woods, I'm sure he will find his way back tomorrow and father hundreds of Super Mice descendants. I don't really care about mice in the barn, so long as I'm not squeezing them with my bare hands. I told Zach that I now have Rabies and he rolled his eyes. He won't think it's so funny when I start foaming from the mouth. ~Ha!    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a little mole build his home under my chicken play yard area. Each time he peaked his head out to grab tasty pieces of corn or straw for his home the 6 chickens and 2 rosters gathered around and played a fun game of Wack-A-Mole. I believe he survived last year but this year has not shown himself. I believe he decided not to make his home not quite as close to the food source and give the chickens a little less entertainment.
Virginia Cullum
Maryland

Eliaz Beth said...

I was being speedy because, as they are goats, and goats being what goats are, they are eternally wanting grain. Anyway... apparently I forgot to close the lid on the stainless steel can that holds their food and their small bag of vitamins. Wrought iron doors

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog