Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Planting Garlic

 Zach and I planted garlic last night. Like a tulip bulb, we plant in fall so the garlic clove winters over, then sprouts in the early spring. We will harvest the bulbs late next summer/fall, and enjoy garlic greens in the spring.

I'm trying some Elephant Garlic here.
I went to our local nursery to buy garlic bulbs to plant, but they didn't have any. One of the nursery employees told me to just buy organic garlic from the farmers market. So that's what I did. 
 I broke up the head into individual cloves.
 Some of them were already sprouting.
The nursery man told me that a good friend to garlic is Phosphate, a naturally occurring substance that helps root development. Gonna give a it a try as I've never had great success with my garlic cloves forming full heads.  
The garlic patch is nested in with our hardy Mums that we adopted when we bought the place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog