Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Black Futsu Heirloom Pumpkin

This chalky-black pumpkin with green undertones is a beautiful variety. As far as I can tell, I believe this to be a Black Futsu Heirloom Squash. According to quite a few pumpkin sites, this is a rather rare variety, developed in Japan. I haven't sliced ours open yet, as I want to display it for as long as I can, but the flesh is a rich golden color, with a mild-sweet flavor reminiscent of hazelnuts. The outer skin is full of warty character with deep ridges and interesting lumps and bumps. The stem on this particular specimen is thick and hearty. I purchased this pumpkin/squash at a local organic market, and I plan on saving the seeds to add this variety to our own pumpkin patch next year.

To learn more about different pumpkin varieties, visit the Iron Oak Farm Pumpkin Page.

1 comment:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog