Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Strawberry Pie

I am so far behind in sharing projects with all of you. Between haying, baby goats being born and trying to preserve the harvest, there needs to be more hours in the day for me to write! I have a ton of photos needing to be turned into blog posts. I even have a lilac water post needing to be published. The lilacs blooms have long ago withered in mid spring, but I might get it up on the blog and re-post it next year as a refresher, more in time with the season.


So anyway on to strawberry pie...before strawberry season is over as well...

When Zach and I first started dating we would go strawberry picking every summer. After we rode the wagon back from the berry patch, the Orchard had a little market where you would pay for your berries. They sold little trinkets, Yankee Candles, nick knacks, fresh produce, harvest baskets, candy, etc. They also had an area that offered tool/supplies for the fruit in season.

During strawberry season they always had a section of the market that sold strawberry huller tools, pre-made grahm cracker crusts and these packets of red goo pie filling.

Not knowing how to make a strawberry pie, I promptly purchased a pre-made crust and packet of red goo. I made the pie according to the goo instructions and viola! An almost instant pie, tasting of fresh strawberries with just a hint of chemical-cough syrup flavor from the goo. Delicious!

As I got older, I began thinking I could do better by my strawberries than the red goo.

I went strawberry picking with a friend, who just might be the best cook I've ever been in contact with. She has taught me so much about cooking over the years, the best lesson of all is that fresh is best!

She shared this recipe with me for strawberry pie filling and I'll never go back to the goo...never!

Strawberry Pie

Graham Cracker Crust

1/2 box Honey Made Graham Crackers
6 tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350.

Pulverize the graham crackers either by beating them in a Zip Lock bag and a rolling pin, or chopping them up in a food processor. I find, the finer the crumbs, the more even the pie crust and easier it is to slice.

Mix the crumbs with the butter and sugar until the mixture is evenly damp.

Press into a pie plate. I use the flat bottom of a measuring cup to get it even.

Bake 10 minutes or until golden.

Strawberry Filling

1 cup crushed strawberries
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp corn starch

4 cups sliced strawberries

Mix ingredients and add to a sauce pan. On medium heat, cook and stir until the mixture bubbles and thickens. While still warm, mix in the sliced berries and stir to coat evenly. Allow to cool slightly and spoon into the cooked graham cracker crust. Refrigerate. When cool, top with whipped cream. 




 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog