Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Pecan Pie Tasting, Maple VS Honey

Zach's dad's favorite pie is Pecan. His birthday party was this past weekend so I decided to make him a pie to celebrate.

I've been intrigued by the Honey Pecan Pie recipe from the Miss Kay's Duck Commander Cookbook. I was particularly interested because I love to use ingredients from the farm whenever I can. This year we got a bumper crop of honey from our hives, so I thought this pie would be perfect!

Get the recipe over at Mommy's Kitchen

I was browsing around other blogs and noticed that honey could be swapped for maple syrup in this recipe.

We have a bunch of that too!

So I made two pies.

One with honey

and one with maple syrup.

They were both DELICIOUS!!!

The maple had a deeper flavor and not quite as sweet as the honey. The honey has a brighter taste, and you couldn't mistake the honey flavor.

If I had to pick one, I think it would be the maple. I love anything maple flavored. Also, Pecan Pie is very sweet to me anyway, so I enjoyed the downplay of sweet flavor from the syrup addition. But both got votes from our family that tasted the pies.

To make the maple version, substitute 1/2 cup maple syrup for 1/2 cup honey, cook as directed. 

3 comments:

mommar6 said...

Oh my gosh. Please try the recipe that I adapted from Miss Kay's I used the honey and maple syrup in the recipe. You can read about the fun pecan pie throw down we did this summer. This one would have won for sure but I entered a chocolate pecan pie recipe instead. http://www.cookingwithcarlee.com/2015/06/34-old-fashioned-honey-maple-pecan-pie.html You will love this!

Jennifer Sartell said...

Ooooh, this sounds like the best of both worlds!!! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Sartell said...

I like the addition of brown sugar i this recipe too. The one I made had only white sugar and I thought that was weird.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog