Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Bittersweet Queen Anne's Lace

Queen Anne's Lace has always been a plant that settles somewhat uncomfortable with me. I remember as a kid walking through the woods to the open prairie trails where the power lines ran behind my house. Queen Anne's Lace would raise it's head amongst the forever green hills towards the end of summer and I knew that with that delicate lacy flower came the end of summer and the beginning of school for the year.
Now when I look at this delicate snowflake like flower I laugh at the dread I used to feel and knew that soon my Mom would be dragging me to K-Mart to buy school supplies.
One fun thing we used to do with Queen Anne's Lace is place freshly picked stems in water dyed with food coloring. The flowers would drink up the colored liquid and turn beautiful greens, pinks and blues.
In the center of every flower is always a reddish black blossom, as a kid we used to call it the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog