Monday, October 11, 2010

Cheese Please! Mimolette

I thought I would start a new post theme. You see, I have a guilty pleasure. It's not cheap romance novels, or soap operas, it's not ice cream or chocolate (though I won't turn my nose up at a Dark Chocolate Dove Bar!) No... it's cheese. Without notice, I've realized that Zach and I consistently have a decent brick or wedge of cheese in the house. We really enjoy a snack of cheese while we're settling down in the evening. Sometimes with a good herbed salami, buttery crackers or wine. (Sadly, I have to watch my allergies with wine.)
So I thought I would write a post if we try a new cheese, let you know what my novice palette finds out, and see what you think. If you have any recommendations or favorites, please pass them along. Let us know what you think, and it will give Zach and I a reason to try a new cheese. He He!

Today I will be featuring an Imported Mimolette Cheese by Isigny Ste Me're  
The Facts:
  • Hard cheese, cave aged 12 months
  • Location: Northern France or Holland
  • Packaging description: "subtle fruity aroma, moderate nutty flavor"
  • Compliments: "light red wine" ex. "Pinot noir or a fine Ale"
  • Cows milk
  • Interesting fact: The cheese is pitted by cheese mites who actually eat the cheese and create the rind. They are brushed off periodically.
  • For a good description of the history of the cheese, namesake, date of origin etc. visit http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-mimolette-cheese.htm
What we thought:
We let the cheese set till it reached room temperature then sliced pieces from different part of the wedge. It has really good flavor, definitely nutty with a bit of a sharp nip. Reminded me of a moderate Parmigiano-Reggiano but with more aftertaste and maybe a little saltier. The texture is somewhat dry and waxy in consistency with a little bit of flakiness, again, like a Parmesean Reggiano, it creams up early on as you chew, and it gets creamier throughout the wedge as you move away from the rind. There are slight texture differences throughout the wedge as it almost lays in layers moving from creamy to rind-y, then back again. I didn't smell the "fruity aroma" instead it was more of a mild sweet/honey smell, and again, definitely nutty. "Wise Geek" compared it to an Edam, I think I will have to try that next and compare. Anyone ever had Edam? Do tell.

So, what are cheese mites? That's what I was wondering. Many of the scientific names include "Tyroglyphus casei Linnaeus, Tyrolichus casei Oudemans and Tyrophagus casei Oudemans" (Google Definitions) Notice the "casei"? Reminds me of the good "bugs" in yogurt like L casei. I kept in mind how much I love yogurt while I was eating the cheese, picturing little insects crawling all over the rind. Once site (About.com) mentioned that the mites are not visible with the naked eye, but instead, when gathered in clusters, appear to look like brown dust that moves about the cheese. It was varied between resources as to whether the mites actually add flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog