Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wild Wednesday, Pileated Woodpecker (Video)

The first time I saw a Pileated Woodpecker in the yard, I thought it was an Ivory Billed Woodpecker. Ivory Billed Woodpeckers are extremely rare, in fact over the past couple of years scientists are wondering if they haven't disappeared completely. I wasn't sure of their range, or if they were ever even in Michigan. All I knew is that this was the bird that the famous Woody the Woodpecker cartoon was based on.
After looking up the bird I saw, I found that it was the Pileated Woodpecker.
They are a large woodpecker about the size of a Crow. and make the coolest sound when they fly. They sound like they're laughing.
Click here to hear the call.



1 comment:

Michelle said...

you can actually see the wood chips flying when these big guys start digging in a tree...pretty cool to watch

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog