Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cranberry Orange Chutney Recipe

After the weekly pole, it seems we have a lot of cranberry lovers out there. Cranberry sauce tied this week with sweet potato casserole, as the favorite Thanksgiving side. This is a recipe I've been working on over the years. It's always so hard for me to share recipes because I never make a dish the same way twice, and I only measure the substantial ingredients, I am a firm believer in the "dash". A "dash" of this, and a "dash" of that. All my recipes have notes and "dashes", things scribbled out, not to mention lots of stains and dried up spills. (One of these days I'll type them all out, neat and tidy, and put them in those nifty plastic sheet covers...one day) That's what happened to this chutney recipe. A couple of years ago I had, had it with the gelatinous goo that comes out of the can. I decided to make a cranberry sauce with real cranberries. I found a basic recipe on line, omitted the things I raised an eyebrow to, added orange, and cloves, molasses and apples and now I'd like to share it with you. We enjoyed it on Thanksgiving, but it would be great as a side dish for Christmas, or spread on a left over Turkey sandwich, or as an hors-d-vor with pastry wrapped Brie cheese. Mmmmm! Maybe I'll make that next! 

Cranberry Chutney
-rind from one large orange
-1 bag of cranberries
-1 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup white sugar
-1/2 cup raisens
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1 tsp. ground ginger
-1 tsp. ground cloves
-1 T Black-strap Molasses (Black-strap is so rich and velvety)
-1 cup orange juice
-1 apple chopped

Rinse cranberries and pick out the dis-colored or squishy ones. Place all ingredients into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring now and again, until the cranberries pop open (my favorite part) and the mixture reduces by half. The color will darken, and the liquid will get syrupy. Serve cold.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog