Thursday, May 5, 2011

Lovely Lavender Mothers

We have definite peeping down in the barn today. A few weeks ago, two of our Lavender Orphingtons went broody, and I let them be. They are actually sharing a joint nest and pass the eggs back and forth between the two of them. I went down today and Mamma Lavender keeps putting her head under her wing and purring, then the chick answers. Ugh, it's killing me not to lift her up and see what she's hiding, but I have to resist and respect her motherly intentions. I fixed up their broody area yesterday. Spread fresh straw down as best I could without disturbing their area, and added some chick electrolytes to the water and switched out the food to starter/grower. I'm sure as soon as the chicks are dry, those Mammas will want to get some fresh air after being cooped up in the barn all these weeks. Can't wait to see babies running around the yard.
This is Dad.
He is all worked up over the commotion!
I'll keep you posted if anything emerges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog