Thursday, September 20, 2012

Maple Bourbon and Brown Sugar Ham

I made this ham the other night and I cannot lie, it turned out fabulous! The ham that I started with was bone-in and had more of a salty-smoked flavor rather than the sweet tastes that can sometimes be found. I like a combination of the two. I love the crispy sweet glaze on the outside that is Honeybaked-esque, but I also like a juicy, salty ham.

Here's my take on a salty smoked ham with a sugar glazed crust.  It has a ton of warm spices that work great for fall!

Maple Bourbon and Brown Sugar Ham

1 stick butter (softened almost to melted)
1/4 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)
1 Tbsp Bourbon (we make a vanilla infused Bourbon, but regular would probably do fine) 

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp clove
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp fennel
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

Mix wet ingredients separate from dry, then add the two together to form a paste. I use my hands to spread the paste onto the ham. For baking, times will change depending on the size of the ham. This ham I baked at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours, (I think it was around 7 pounds). The sugars start to burn after this, so if you have a large ham, maybe start the cooking process and then apply the sugar crust when there is 2 hours left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog