Thursday, October 27, 2011

What Joy in a Trip to the Library!

I've been stressing a lot lately. Just life stuff, things that get under your skin and settle in the muscles in your neck. I'm not good with change, and while I'm actually coping quite nicely with the move, the new area, and all the re-adjusting that comes with it, occasionally I get caught up and find myself in a funk.

Today I went to the Post to mail some packages, roving and bottle openers. And while this is almost an everyday trip for me, today I really saw the beauty around me. I popped one of my favorite CD's in the player, The Village Soundtrack, the violin is amazing. It's sort of a dark track, but somehow inspirational.

It's cloudy today, but the sun peaks out occasionally. It was moving in windy glimmers across the golden corn fields.  Three black turkey vultures soared overhead and cast a a shadow with their large spanning wings.

The drive to our Post is almost entirely dirt winding roads. And I LOVE winding dirt roads. I pass an old cemetery, a small bridge over a creek with silvery blue minnows,  beautiful rolling acres of corn, a small herd of large black cows that lick their noses and swish their tails as I drive by. Then there's the Orchard. You know you're getting close when you pass the bee supers. A tiny skyline of white painted boxes and each one a corner cluster of the pretty little bees, hovering in almost blurry streaks. Then the rows of apple trees, and peach trees, and the large brown pumpkin patch with all its orange globes dotting the square.

I passed a tractor today. A large red one, the driver waved. Then I saw something really cool. The field down the road was harvesting corn and they were filling a great big semi full of feed corn. The name Geiglers was on the side. It occurred to me that that is the family feed store where we've been buying our hay and feed, and that our animals would be eating that corn.

I entered the quaint town of Hartland and dropped my packages off at the Post. On the way home I passed The Music Hall, where we'll be seeing our "date night" play this Friday. The Museum with the large loom, that I would just LOVE to get my hands on and the library. It's an old three brick story building built into a hill with a winding sidewalk and arched white windows.

I stopped in to get a couple books. Julia Child's The Art of French Cooking, and Animal Vegetable Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver. I've been missing reading in the evening. The last book I finished was Goat Song by Brad Kessler. One of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. I fell in love with goats all over again, and this time, in an even more passionate level. He helped me to understand our herd dynamic, and relate to the behaviors, personality, language and hormonal drives of a goat. Not to mention the impact that pastoral animals have had on our civilization, socialization, religion, language, traditions and food. Good read!!!

When I got home there was a wheel of goat cheese that I ordered for Zach for his birthday in July! It had been on back order for 3 months, along with a jar of onion and balsamic vinegar jam. 

I don't know where this post is going, I just felt inspired to share. And perhaps this post is more of a reminder to myself, that there are so many blessing, if I just take the time to see them. 

1 comment:

Zach said...

The cheese and the jam were amazing!

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog